“Being a liberal is the best thing on earth you can be. You are welcoming to everyone when you’re a liberal. You do not have a small mind… I’m total, total, total liberal and proud of it.
I’m a total Democrat. I’m anti-Republican. And it’s only fair that you know it. I’m liberal… The ‘L’ word!” Lauren Bacall
As a candid, committed liberal, I avow, advocate, and act to advance, the worth and realization of following ideals:
- Affirmation and recognition of the full, human equality of all persons;
- Resolute pursuit and reliable practice of justice for and among all people;
- Maximum liberty of thought, conscience, choice and action for all peaceful persons;
- Amicable coexistence between all creeds, colors, cultures, and countries;
- Truth as the ultimate desideratum and the quest for it as the primary duty;
- Real and lasting peace among ourselves and with all peoples of the world;
- Benign ecological interactions and relations among the living beings of the planet.
If any of the preceding offends any who read this, I welcome their statement of the case for alternatives. In the absence of convincing evidence, however, these seven will remain my guiding principles, my driving purposes, and my enduring priorities.