Profile of a Sociopath
I was so inspired by watching the then presumptive, and now actual, Republican candidate for the office of the Presidency, I did a Google search for characteristics of a sociopath. I found a list of common denominators of sociopathic behavior, and I will enumerate them below. (Parenthetical remarks are mine.)
• Glibness and Superficial Charm (Smile never reaches the eyes)
• Manipulative and Conning (Loves to tell Big Lies)
• Grandiose Sense of Self (Huge sense of entitlement)
• Pathological Lying (Story changes with each audience)
• Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt (Did you hear the one about the dog?)
• Shallow Emotions (Need we say more?)
• Incapacity for Love (Ditto)
• Need for Stimulation (Doesn’t work; runs for office due to boredom)
• Callousness/Lack of Empathy (Doesn’t understand why we get upset)
• Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature (Haircut, anyone? Special rate for students!)
• Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency (Right and wrong, hmm)
• Irresponsibility/Unreliability (Incapable of accepting blame)
• Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity (Does not seem to apply)
• Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle (Bain Capital anyone?)
• Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility (He’s a big Business Man)
I keep looking at the candidate’s eyes when he lies, I mean speaks, trying to find a shred of warmth or humanity, but I search in vain. Only his usual expression of amused disbelief that one of the 99% (to coin a phrase), feels emboldened enough to question him or any of his actions. If he believes anything, this man believes that he is above all that and that his behavior and actions, and most especially his intentions, are simply none of our business. He also believes that, underneath our protestations to the contrary, we are all just like him.
He refuses to discuss his plans for the future. He declines to give his position on issues, so that even Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), and John Boehner (R-OH), Speaker of the House, could only say that their position on President Barack Obama’s decision on Immigration, and his end-run around Congress, was the same as that of the candidate, who has not and will not explain what that position is. But then, he doesn’t have to, does he? In his world, at least, which is definitely not yours or mine. And this man wants to be the leader of the Free World. If that doesn’t scare you, you’re simply not paying attention!
Even if I could get past all the rest, I can’t get past that poor dog, wet, sick and imprisoned in that kennel for twelve long hours, completely at the mercy of someone who cannot comprehend the concept of mercy. It’s the heartless treatment of a helpless animal that tells the tale for me. This man should never be put in a position of power over one dog, let alone our whole country.
Tags: Dogs, Rep. John Boehner, Republican Candidate, Sen. Mitch McConnell, sociopath, Willard "Mitt" Romney