A Very Tonic New Year
In my previous article I discussed New Year’s Resolutions, and how typical resolutions bore me to tears. I suggested we should break away from the norm, and dare to do something different this year. Normal resolutions are so vague (I want to be healthier, I want to travel, I want to read….stuff) that it’s no wonder 25% of us have already fallen off the bandwagon after the first week.
If we focus on a series of specific goals rather than unclear ideas, we’ll have a better chance of succeeding. This is why I thought long and hard about what I wanted to achieve this year. After eliminating things such as “Drinking until I’m better looking” and “French kissing at least 50% of Hall & Oates” I came up with what I consider to be a pretty great list of things to accomplish.
Here is how The Tonic will be spending 2012:
(1) Sending more cards to people this year for absolutely no reason other than it will make them smile.
(2) Devoting more time to volunteering.
(3) Running a 5k.
(4) Learning a new skill each month.
(5) Crafting more. It really helps bring me to my place of Zen.
(6) Completing the book I’ve slooooowly been writing. Publishing to occur in 2013…if the world still exists.
(7) Forgiving all of the people who have been royal pains in the ass the last couple of years.
(8) Writing D-list celebrities (did you hear that Dave Coulier?) in an effort to make them feel relevant. Pictures of my boobs included.
(9) Kicking ass and taking names.
(10) Calling and/or writing my grandparents more often.
(11) Going on more hikes in the Columbia River Gorge.
(12) Getting down to California to visit my family more than just once during the holidays. I’m sure my parents miss their favorite child!
(13) Telling people how much they mean to me more often.
(14) Taking more pictures of anything and everything.
(15) Getting up when the alarm goes off instead of hitting the snooze button (dozens of times) because I always end up rushing around like a crazy person.
(16) Planning out my meals in advance. Stressing about what to eat for breakfast during dinner, or about what’s for dinner during breakfast is just dumb.
(17) Stopping the madness that is my procrastination.
Yeah, I realize I’m a jerk for making fun of resolutions, and then going and making 17 of them. Maybe one of my resolutions should be to stop being hypocritical. Nah, I’ll just file this under: Things I get away with because I’m The Tonic.
So how have I done so far? Considering it took me three weeks to put out this craptastic post, I’d say I’m not doing so well on the procrastination front, but I’ve done pretty well on the others. I’ve already sent cards, gotten my craft on, and have gotten into the habit of snapping photos. I’m pretty proud that I dove right in, and am confident I’ll keep up this momentum.
I believe the key to success isn’t against measuring yourself against what others are doing. It isn’t about beating yourself up when you fall off the bandwagon. It isn’t even about meeting every single benchmark you set for yourself. What I believe this year should be about, for all of us, is kicking ass and taking names.
This piece originally published on Sips of Jen and Tonic
Tags: dave coulier, french kissing, hall & oates, hiking in the gorge, jen and tonic, kicking ass and taking names, new year's resolutions, sips of, taking more photos, volunteering